"When bright flowers bloom Parchment crumbles, my words fade The pen has dropped ..."

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Narkol er nadu (coconut laddu)

Yet again my exams are knocking at my door. My evil heart wants to sit and write long blogs but my rational mind stops it and makes me sit and study. There are thoughts and stories coming into shape which I want to pen down but time restricts me. Why is it always when I have exams or loads of assignments or Thesis work, do these line of thoughts crop into my mind? And when I am completely free (idling like a crocodile basking in the sun) I dont feel like writing.
Those who know me , know how I love to devour sweets. Ah , this is one thing of which I never get bored. As a kid , I used to sneak a chocolate or a bit of jaggery (the typical bengali patali or khejur aka gur from date). And so smart of me, I use to neatly smear the tiny teeth marks on the jaggery or choco. On being interrogated by Ma, the poor household ant was blamed. Of-course Ma knew who was the ant of the house. My craving for sweets is insatiable. During my trip to home my Ma prepares the best of desserts. My Baba gets all possible bengali sweets. With marriage there's a double bonus from my Ma-in law as well. Back at US I keep bullying the poor husband for sweets, and he keeps getting chocos and icecreams and cakes for me. But as age is creeping , I try resisting myself from these very very fatty desserts.
Narkol er nadu or coconut laddu is one typical dessert which every bengali loves. Once upon a time, when there ware no microwaves, and no grated coconut readily available , preparing this delicacy was a big project. But thankfully with micro, this is the easiest dessert I have ever made. Very little time and effort consuming , the net outcome is superb. My hubby loves to creep and finish the laddus and I simply love it when he does that.
The recipe goes like this:
All you need: A packet of frozen grated cocunut. A tin of milkmaid. Sugar to taste
Take the grated coconut in a microwave-able bowl. Microwave on high for 3 mins. Stir . Microwave again for 2-3 minutes. Now add condensed milk. For a packet of coconut I add half tin condensed milk. Stir well. Now microwave for 8 minutes stirring after every 2 minutes. You can add a little milk as well. Now add litlle sugar as per taste. Again microwave for 4 minutes stirring every minute. The color should change a little to brown. Also the mixture would now start releasing oil. Keep it for a few minutes but do not let it cool completely. Make laddus and enjoy.


2 comments:

anindita said...

thanks for the microwave recipi.....i will...i will...

shruti said...

love laddoos... :)
I prepared these on Holi this year!!

© BlossomsOfLife, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena